Spanish and Internship Placement Program by Paloma M, Spanish Teacher at AIL Madrid
My name is Paloma and I have been teaching Spanish at AIL Madrid since 2007.I’m from Madrid, this is where I grew up and studied, but before joining the School I went on an amazing adventure in Thessaloniki, Greece. I experienced so much there and there are no words to describe how beneficial it is, both professional and personally, to live abroad.
Having international experience and fluently speaking various languages used to be something that would make your CV stand out from the crowd - nowadays it´s a must for those who want to be even considered for the most exciting career opportunities. This is why so many of my students chose to participate in AIL Madrid´s Spanish and Internship Placement Program, which gives them the necessary linguistic preparation to undertake a job experience in Spain and allows them to gain experience in the sector and profession of their dreams. A professional international internship also acts as a fantastic CV builder and is a personally enriching and unforgettable experience! Spanish and Internship Placement Program consists of two phases:
1. Phase 1: 4-week Intensive Spanish Training
This is the time to refresh and consolidate the previous Spanish knowledge that you already have as well as gain fluency in expressing yourself both in daily-life situations and the working environment. You achieve fluency by participating in a 4-week Intensive Spanish Course with 4 daily classes from Monday to Friday. In this phase we also encourage you to throw yourself into the Spanish culture and visit Madrid´s top sights of interest by participating in our daily Fun Afternoon Activities Program. You will also have plenty of time to make friends with other AIL Madrid students… and what better way to develop your international professional network of contacts than over cañas and tapas in one of the funky bars in Madrid´s historical centre?
Be warned! Devoting time and effort to this part of the training is essential in order to make the most of your internship and increase your ability to be able to communicate confidently with your future Spanish work colleagues. If you feel that your Spanish needs a further push before starting your work placement, you can extend your Spanish classes for as long as you need. You may also consider taking some private business classes to amplify your business and sector-specific vocabulary, learn how to write business e-mails, role-play phone conversations or practice for your internship interviews.
2. Phase 2: 8-week custom Work Placement with a Spanish company
After the language training period it´s finally time to start your internship placement in Madrid. We arrange this according to your career goals and fields of interest within a job sector that you want to pursue to enhance your abilities, skills and experience. Doing an internship in Spain during your studies or once you finish your degree and are about to start your work life is an extremely valuable experience! In very few weeks you'll put the theory learned at university into practice, significantly improving your general and business Spanish knowledge whilst experiencing firsthand the Spanish working environment and customs.Below you can see all the stages of the course: before, during, and after your internship.
2.1 Before your internship - Selection, Preparation and Briefing:
Your placement is determined during the 4-week Intensive Spanish Classes at AIL Madrid, during which:
- You are assigned an experienced personal program advisor
- You receive guidance for the preparation or improvement of your CV (resumé), cover letter as well as you job interview in Spanish
- You meet with your program advisor to arrange the ideal internship placement based on your objectives
- You participate in rehearsal "mock" interviews prior to your “real” first job interview
2.2 During your internship - Monitoring, Supervision and Visiting:
- Your program advisor ensures that all runs smoothly between you and your employer
- He arranges a series of meetings to make sure the placement meets your expectations
- He visits you periodically at your internship company to make sure you are progressing at a desired pace, and further developing your skills and knowledge
2.3 Upon completion of your internship - Assessment and Evaluation:
- The internship company submits a progress report as well as an end of placement evaluation and appraisal form
- You submit an overall evaluation of the company you have worked for
- You receive an internship completion certificate as well as a written reference
3. Which Internship placement option is right for me?
3.1 Placement at a local company or organization
Internship placements are available in a variety of professional fields including:
- Accounting Graphic Design
- Graphic Design
- Human Resource
- Media and Communications
- Marketing and PR
- Architecture and Design
- Finance and Banking
- IT and telecommunications
If you don´t see your field above, please contact our Spanish and Internship Program Advisor, who will help you find the internship you were looking for.
3.2 Placement at AIL Madrid
There are a range of employment opportunities and short term jobs available at AIL Madrid for appropriately qualified students. The work is varied and is based on your specific interests and skills set. Work placements at AIL Madrid are available in:
- Business Development
- International Sales
- Student Services
Please note that work placements at AIL Madrid are subject to availability. There is high demand for these roles, especially in the summer months.
3.3 Further characteristics of your internship placement:
- The minimum duration of the internship is 8 weeks, however we encourage you to stay for a longer time (at no additional cost) to get the most out of this experience
- The internships take place in small and medium-sized companies/institutions
- You should expect to work 40 hours per week from Monday to Friday
- Flexible start dates, although work placements can be harder to find during summer months, as many companies close or experience a dip in activity. Please bear this in mind when considering when to come
- Placements are unpaid Due to a high level of personal attention, we are proud that 80% of our internship program´s participants are successful in their first interview!
3.4 Is the Spanish and Internship Placement Program for me?Yes, if:
- You are aged between 17 and 25
- You wish to improve your Spanish and gain invaluable work experience in your chosen professional field
- You have at least an intermediate level of Spanish (corresponding to level B1 of CEFR) by the end of the 4-week Spanish course period. If not, you can always extend your language training period until you reach the B1 level
- You are able to commit to at least an 8-week work experience upon completion of your 4-week Intensive Spanish Course
- You are at the start of your professional career - previous relevant experience in your chosen area is ideal but not essential
- You have the financial means to support yourself whilst in Madrid
This program is not for you
if you are looking to earn money to finance your trip to Spain.
Internships are unpaid as the emphasis is placed on applying the Spanish language skills you have developed in the classroom in a working environment. You will learn a lot of Spanish in a short space of time and gain invaluable experience as well as having great fun!
3.5 How to apply for the Spanish and Internship Placement Program?
By simply submitting the following documents:
- Completed application form, indicating that all of the specified criteria are met
- CV (resumé) and cover letter in Spanish (if possible) or English
- Photocopy of your passport (provided upon arrival in Madrid)
- Photocopy of your medical insurance (provided upon arrival in Madrid). We can provide this for you, if required.
- Visa to enter Spain, if necessary
Your place on the Spanish Classes and Work Experience Program will be confirmed as soon as we have ensured that you meet all the criteria and we have received your 200 Euros deposit. If you need our assistance with your visa application, we require a deposit of 1000 Euros before issuing your visa invitation letter. Please check the Spanish study visa application section form more information.
4. Prices of the Spanish and Internship Program
|4-week Intensive Spanish Course + 8-week Internship
|1 extra week of Spanish Classes
|8-week Internship Placement only
4.1 What's included in the price?
- 4-week Intensive Spanish Course in the heart of Madrid
- Guaranteed 8-week internship placement
- Enrolment fee
- Pre-departure information and advice
- In-country assistance and support
- Own personal program advisor
- Full internship supervision and monitoring
- Certification and report upon completed placement
5. More information:
Long term Spanish course
Accommodation in Madrid