Instituto Cervantes

Study Visa for Spain and Schengen Countries - Requirements

EU nationals are not required to obtain study visas to study in Spain. Study Visa Spain

Visas are not required for courses of less than 90 days (i.e. 12 weeks) for nationals of the following countries: Albania, Andorra, Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, South Korea, Costa Rica, Chile, El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Vatican, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Please read the guidance below very carefully if you are not a passport holder from one of the above listed countries or if you will be studying with us for more than 12 weeks.

  1. Consult your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate about Spanish study visa requirements for your country at least 120 days prior to departure.
  2. Enrol with AIL Madrid advising us of your nationality and your country’s specific study visa requirements, if any exist. [Please note prior to granting a Spanish study visa, your local Spanish Embassy will require AIL Madrid to confirm that your Spanish program and accommodation fees have been paid for in full.]
  3. AIL Madrid will send you a Certificate of Enrolment (Study Visa Invitation letter) by email and a hard copy by post on the same day (with a copy sent by email immediately).

Study Visa SpainCertificate of Enrolment – your “study visa invitation”

This will be required by your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate prior to issuing a visa. The document is evidence that you are enrolled in a course and will state your name, the course details, your accommodation details, the dates of study and confirmation of the amount paid for the course and accommodation fees. It is signed by the AIL Madrid Director and is stamped with the school’s seal.

As an Instituto Cervantes accredited langauge school, AIL Madrid's Certificate of Enrolment is a valid document for study visa purposes and will result in your application being approved if there is no other problem with the other documentation you present as part of your application.   

Spanish Study Visa Application  

The application should be made at least three months before your departure date.

Please note that although AIL Madrid will gladly assist you in the process of obtaining a study visa; we are required to work within the strict guidelines of your local Spanish Embassy/Consulate. It is the local Spanish Embassy/Consulate who makes all decisions regarding the granting of study visas and their decision is final. 

In the event that a Spanish study visa is denied after you have paid your course fees, AIL Madrid will reimburse the course fees, minus a 200 Euros administrative charge. However, should you subsequently successfully obtain a Spanish study visa and take an AIL Madrid Spanish course, your enrolment fee will be waived.

Typical Visa Requirements

The following documentation is required to be submitted to your local Spanish embassy by you in person or by your legal representative:

  • Passport valid for a minimum of six months with three photocopies of the personal information and photo page
  • 4 recent pictures, passport size
  • Completed Spanish study visa application form
  • Proof of admission to AIL Madrid as a full-time student (provided by AIL Madrid)
  • Private health insurance policy – AIL Madrid can advise you on health insurance if required
  • Original certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the city or cities where the applicant has spent 6 months or more in the last 5 years - a translation into Spanish must also be provided
  • Original medical certificate typed on doctor stationary verifying that the applicant is free from the following quarantine diseases: yellow fever, cholera, and the plague. The certificate must also certify that the applicant is free of drug addictions and mental illness. A translation into Spanish must be provided
  • Confirmation that accommodation details while in Spain have been paid for in full (provided by AIL Madrid)
  • Proof of financial means for the period of study in Spain. This could be:
  • Certificate of enrolment from AIL Madrid stating educational and living expenses have been paid for in advance, or
  • Notarized letter of parents/custodians, assuming financial responsibility while student is in Spain, or
  • Current statement of the student’s bank account with a minimum balance of $1000 per month of stay in Spain or $1000 worth of travelers cheques per month of stay in Spain.

DISCLAIMER: Rules and regulations for visas change constantly. Whilst we make every effort to keep abreast of changes, we can not guarantee that the information above is accurate or complete. We can not accept any responsibility or be held liable for your visa application and we strongly recommend that you contact your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate as early as possible to ensure that you are aware of the requirements for your country and have all necessary documentation.

Spanish Study Visa Questions Answered

Who is considered a student?Study Visa Spain

Foreigners coming to Spain with the only purpose of studying or undertaking research, training or a non-lucrative job in any Spanish  educational or scientific, public or private, officially recognized centre.

How long does the student visa last?

It is granted for the whole duration of the Spanish course

When does the Spanish study visa expire?

When the activity for which it was granted comes to an end or when the period for which it was granted is over.

Is the Spanish study visa renewable?

Yes, the Spanish study visa is renewable.

Can foreign students’ relatives come to Spain?

Students who have obtained a visa can apply for the corresponding stay visas for their relatives to enter and stay in Spain, during the period of their studies or research.  

Read More
Read More
Check out our prices here
Read More
Read More
Find the best course for you
Read More
Read More
Find the accommodation
Comodo SSL